Thursday 18th December, (Melbourne).

We spent 2 days at Beechworth and, although rather cool because of the altitude, we enjoyed the stay. Linda did find the shops she was looking for and did purchase several Xmas pressies. We have since decided that our stay there was not very enjoyable, in the long term, as it has been decided that is where we picked up a nest of ants. In the sweltering heat yesterday of 40° plus Linda discovered the ant’s nest and spent most of the day stripping the bed and cupboards to rid them. Three cans of insecticide and heaps of sweat later we think we have done the job.

When we left Beechworth we decided to go straight on to Melbourne instead of staying overnight at somewhere half way.

We have had the chance to meet Annette, and Nelle and Matt a couple of times, so far while here, and we are making a trip to Geelong on Saturday to catch whoever we can while there. A trip to Kew to meet Barry and Ida on Sunday will see out our visits until we return from Frankston to Melbourne in a couple of weeks. Our time may be a little restricted then because we have changed our minds about when to travel home, so now we are booked on the boat on the 10th of January.

The main reason for going home early, although I reckon we would have anyway, was to see if we could settle Adrian into a new unit, as he has to move out of the existing unit today. He had decided to move into a halfway house for a few months and obviously didn’t really know what he would be letting himself in for, so fortunately, and somewhat of a surprise, Matthew decided that he would not permit him to make this move so he has insisted that Adrian will move in with them short term until something else could be found.

I made an executive decision today in Linda’s absence and made a heap of bookings for our intended stays and trip home, so on Monday we are going to Frankston, this was already booked, until the 1st of the new year, then a return to Melbourne, where we are staying now. We stay there until the 10th and board the boat on that day for our trip home. A stay at Devonport overnight on arrival will see us to Legana caravan park on the following day, two weeks there and by then we should have decided where we intend to spend the bulk of out time while we are back in Tassie.

I mentioned the heat earlier; Typically of Melbourne the weather changes can be to extremes, and over the past few days this has been the case. When we arrived on Sunday the wind was coming from the south and it was rather cold. On Tuesday the wind turned and was coming from the north, and this saw temperatures, especially yesterday, climb very high. Yesterday must have reached in excess of 40 deg by 4:30 in the afternoon and then the wind changed again to a southerly. This saw the temperatures drop by about 15 deg in as many minutes and was back down to something reasonably comfortable. Today it is raining, not making it a very nice day for Linda to have her shopping hopping trip around Melbourne.

I am just spending the day doing a few chores around the van, weather permitting, and putting down these words even though a little overdue again.