Saturday 23rd August, (Cairns).

It’s happened again: no words put down, as we have just been relaxing and doing nothing special.

We have just booked in to Clifton Beach for a third week as we are enjoying our visit here.

The amenities arrangement has been a bit of a saga: A week after we were here another couple moved in on another caravan site and the second unit was given to them, but, the following day yet another caravan moved in. The caretaker in all his wisdom has closed the showers at the swimming pool, for so called maintenance, so he decided that we would all have to share both the en-suite units as Male and Female (as he originally thought they should) and things have not turned out well at all. It turns out that the third couple, the male partner at least, seems to suffer from some form of dementia, and ultimately, with his incontinent problem the male unit occasionally ended up in a very messy state. It took all the rest of us a fair bit of organization arranging for the woman in the third couple to assist in cleaning arrangements for the units. She seemed a little stubborn at first, which seemed a little odd seeing she is personally involved with the situation, but all worked out reasonably in the end. The second couple leave on Monday so it will be interesting what arrangements will eventuate from then, Linda would prefer a unit for each couple, understandably.

A subject not to be mentioned to anyone else for the moment has arisen that will require a fair bit of consideration by both of us. During my conversations with Brisbane API office making further bookings, the subject of there not being an onsite caretaker present at the units came up, with me suggesting that things would work a lot better if there were one. It seems the main reason there is not an onsite one at the moment is because they have not been able to find one under the right conditions, meaning having there own caravan accommodation, and for some reason Linda and I discussed the idea that the position may actually suit us for a year or two. Surprisingly enough we both agreed that it might not be such a silly idea after all. I intend ringing the Brisbane office on Monday, or so, and discuss with them the possibility, and if they are looking to fill the position and take the situation from there. Naturally there will have to be conditions provided with the position that suit us as well as them.

For us number one would be that the van would have to be stored under cover: the site cover the previous caretakers were using is still in situation, but the present caretaker has indicated that it must be pulled down, so if that is the case then it could be a large disadvantage for us.

Number two for us would be the possible use of one of the units for accommodation during the hotter seasons, on nights when it is too hot to stay in the caravan, for the use of the air-conditioner. This should not be a problem as the hot season is also the quiet period.

Number three would be that we would require some time off at Christmas to go to Melbourne for our visit with Narrelle and Matt.

My computer skills could be an asset to them in the running of the office, organising ledgers and receipts and such, well at least I think they would, they may have different ideas.

For now though it will be wait and see what their response will be.


Wednesday 6th August, (Cairns).

It seems the only major difference at the holiday units is that the in house managers have left and they now have caretakers and key pickup at the local service station. We have decided to stay here at Crystal Cascades for a full week and we have booked into the API units from Monday for a week. If we decide to stay longer we will book for longer.

We also had a look at the Trinity Beach caravan park while in the area and did not like it very much. It is probably only because we had been led to believe that it was so much better than what we saw. It is probably a perfectly good park to stay at, but with the API units being just up the road, and being cheaper we decided that the units would be much more appropriate.

Monday 11th August, (Cairns).

We moved to Clifton Beach today and after being here for only a few hours we have decided that why move anywhere while this weather is present. We have plenty of time to get to Melbourne so we will just follow the weather down the coast as it warms up.

We had originally thought that there would have been some changes to the API holiday units at Clifton beach after the onsite managers left last year, but after looking at them last week, and moving in today, basically nothing has changed with the exception of arranging to pick up the keys to the units. The problem we had, as minor as it was, was that the caretaker was unsure of what keys to provide us with as he had never had any caravans book in during his tenure to date. After explaining to him that the bathrooms at the end of the units are used for en-suites for van sites, one for each, all was well. The caretaker had the idea that, as the keys labels stated, the en-suite units were only toilets, one female and the other for males. He was going to give us the keys to both, but after I explained he held the other key in case there were another caravan book in.


Monday 4th August, (Cairns).

Now in Cairns, we have hit what is hopefully the tail end of a late wet season for the area. It started raining last night at Kurrimine and poured all night. Luck had it that it stopped when it was time to pack up for our move, then started again when we drove off and stopped just long enough when we arrived at Cains to errect our awning. It seems to have cleared up for now and the forecast is for clear weather from now on with temperatures up to minimums of 18 degrees. We are actually camped in a park in a valley a little to the south of the city, so temperatures will be a little lower than the forecast, but I think we will be able to handle it.

We were hopeful of getting in to a park at Trinity beach, northwest of the city but it is booked out for a while, so we will just take things as they come. We also intend to check out the units at Clifton Beach owned by the API. We had trouble locating a phone number for the units as we believe there have been changes made in management arrangements and the phone number no longer exists. A trip there tomorrow will reveal the present situation and we may be able to get in there again.

Kurrimine Beach

Saturday 2nd August, (Kurrimine Beach).

The wind eased for a short time at Ingham so I took the opportunity to complete the painting job on the caravan, and now it is looking new again.

We also had a return trip to Broadwater reserve. When we visited last year we were rather short of time and decided to return so we could do the walks on offer, it turns out that the walk was just another through a rainforest, but exercise nonetheless.

We are now at Kurrimine Beach, a small township north of Mission Beach on the coast north of Tully. On offer for tourists in this area is Dunk Island, and a little further south is Hinchenbrook Island. It would be nice to visit these islands, but with 12 months plus left before we can access my superannuation and our finances running low we will have to put them off till another time.

This is quite a nice place to sit and relax for a while, as is demonstrated by the southern visitors who travel north for this time of year, which reminds me of some Queenslanders terms we have learned for southern visitors:

New south Welshmen, are Mexicans (from south of the border)

Victorians, are Seagulls (they fly north for winter)

Tasmanians, are Boat people.