Adelaide

Saturday 8th March, (Adelaide).

I had that drive down south of Adelaide today, Fleurieu Peninsular as it is known as, with the intention to just have a brief look at the area.

One decision has been made as a result of the trip, being that we won’t be taking the caravan to Kangaroo Island, as Linda would have liked to. After being given a brochure on the ferry by a fellow traveller that revealed the costs, far too expensive, and the route involved in getting to the ferry and return there from has some rather steep hills that I would prefer not to negotiate. Victor Harbour through to Goolwa is a very nice section of coastline that could warrant a visit some time although most of the area is very much tourist orientated and busy in the tourist season.

I did encounter a remarkable piece of road construction during the trip, called the Southern freeway. I was wondering why this road was in fact only half a road, meaning that there was only one road carrying traffic in one direction only, not two separate lanes as usual. After a fair amount of observation I noticed that all the signposts were double sided, and there were also direction signs facing in the reverse direction to which I was travelling. It then became obvious that this road is used for traffic in both directions, one at a time depending on the busy periods: eg open in a southerly direction in the mornings of a weekend and in a northerly direction in the afternoons of a weekend to cater for traffic doing just what I was. In hind site I do remember seeing signs that explained what times the road is used for which direction before the entry points at either end. I was originally bemused as to what was going on because the road was open in a southerly direction when I went down the peninsular, I did notice this even though I didn’t use it because I missed the turn-off. When I returned it was open in the northerly direction and whilst travelling along it the road in the other direction was very obviously missing which is what starting me wondering. I don’t think in my ignorance of the design of this roadway that I would have gotten into any trouble as the ends of the road are light controlled and there are barriers placed over the barred access roads to prevent entry. All very interesting.

Adelaide

Friday 7th March, (Adelaide).

Not much exciting has happened in the past few days. I have been busy with normal household chores that Linda would normally undertake, and I have continued with the chore of painting the cupboard doors that I started last year.

I have been planning a trip down south of Adelaide to have a look around. I was going to go over the weekend but the Melbourne formula 1 grand prix is on so I guess I will be glued to the TV too much to worry about sightseeing.

That will do now as I must do the ironing.

Adelaide

Tuesday 4th March.

Isn’t it amazing: I generally use the excuse for not putting words down is that I have been relaxing and not much has been happening. This time is quite the reverse though as since Linda left for England I have been rather busy and the time has just flown by and I haven’t given a thought to the memoirs?

One thing taking up a fair bit of time, would you believe, is organising shopping. No wonder Linda worries about it so much.

More on the light problems with the other traveller; it turned out that he has the same light fittings on his van as I have on mine and he was suffering the same problem as I experienced some time ago. The lens cover does not have a seal underneath to prevent water getting in to the light sockets themselves. His problem though, as his van hasn’t seen any rain for so long, was dust and dirt getting in and his contacts were failing as well. It did rain overnight while working on his lights and the next day when we removed the other lens cover, the dust in that light had turned to mud. We gave the globes and contacts a good clean, placed some thin rubber sticky back seal around the lens and all was now ok, lights working perfectly. After doing this for him I decided to once again check my lights and sure enough the seals in mine were not sufficient. When I placed the rubber seals on mine I only placed it on the end where there was no seal at all, but in my case the original seal that was provided was now not doing its job so it was all removed and replaced with the new seal. It turns out that I didn’t have to buy any seal for mine because the other chap, John and Nannette Steanes, only used half what they bought and they gave me the rest to do mine.

I have also been doing some pedalling on the bike. The bike tracks around here are terrific; they go for miles both to the coast and east to the Adelaide hills. I more than likely never get to see much of them but I have been to the city all ready. What makes these tracks so good is that they are not completely flat, they have little hills which make the muscles work all the more and believe me I can feel them doing their work.

I have also been working on van maintenance as well. I have organised for a visiting mechanic to come in tomorrow and grease the wheel bearings, and I have bought some more paint for the cupboard doors. I have painted a couple of doors and I have noticed that this batch of paint is a little glossier than the other lot, but I don’t think it is really that noticeable.

I guess I must have been rather busy this last week as the time has just passed that quickly that I could not believe that it was time for another weekly payment for the park site already.

I also did another modification to the battery wiring. The main problem with this park is the trees provided for shade, they also prevent the sun from getting to the solar panels, so the small battery charger is now wired into the charging regulator so it can be left on continuously without overcharging the batteries.