Friday 30th August, (Rollingstone).

The rain eased today, forecast for showers for the area but we moved on before we had any. We have now returned to familiar stomping ground, Rollingstone. The local council are getting serious with this camp ground with all the upgrades they are making: they have provided a lot more water taps, provided new rows of trees in a formation to create individual sites for vans. They have fenced off the front area for day use only, in it a new playground and an irrigation system. Work in the camp area has been restricted to a small area so far but looks as though they are to continue the work over a much larger area. One gets the impression that they are serious about keeping this as a freebie, but then it almost looks like it could be converted into a normal type caravan park, let’s hope not.

The weather has improved dramatically, let’s hope that it was only restricted to the area north of here as that has been the only area we have had any rain. The solar panels will be working overtime today and tomorrow replacing the power we have not been able to recover due to the bad weather.

Murray falls National park

Thursday 29th August, (Murray Falls National Park).

Typical that when we decide to move on and plan to stay at National parks and freebies that it starts to rain. We are now camped at Murray Falls National Park, just south of Tully, and although we are fairly well set up and can cater for rainy weather it would have been a lot nicer if it were sunny. Generally areas such as this, being in remote areas and in behind mountains, do not have much in the way of TV reception so this limits our activities of a night. It is a pleasant change without TV, playing cards etc. But it would be nicer if it were fine enough to sit outside of an evening possibly around a campfire.

Now the following day and it is reasonably clear, but still overcast, so we managed to do the couple of walks to the falls.

There are two walking tracks here, one to the bottom of the falls, and one to the top of the falls. Both angles are seen in the photos.

We are enjoying our camping in this area but I certainly hope the rain eases up before we move on tomorrow.


Tuesday 27th August.

Went to Kuranda today to visit Hoss and Val and we had a good chat that was long overdue as we had not seen each other for quite a long time. From what they were saying, if it were not for their elderly parents they would like to travel by the same mode as we are instead of only for a few months each year. You never know we may see more of them in the future if their ideas come to fruition.

We are now making ready for a move tomorrow for our trek to Brisbane.


Monday 26th August.

Narrelle rang the other day telling us that she has cancelled her trip, her passport then turned up the following day, but they consider it was for the best to cancel because they could do with the money right now and she was being pressured with the new job she has gotten. Would you believe she got a job as an Air Hostess? We will miss not having the opportunity to meet her, but we will get by. Linda has started proceedings to renew her passport as she will no doubt accept Narrelle’s offer for a trip over there next year, so she will at least get the chance to meet her.

Linda’s sister Cheryl is in hospital, things don’t look too good. They are finally talking to us though about their problems after Linda tackled them a while ago.

We have now decided to move on from here on about Wednesday or so depending on when we meet up with Hoss and wife. I rang them on Sunday and the chances are that we will have a trip to Kuranda tomorrow as they are staying there at the moment. With Narrelle now not coming, and finally getting the chance to meet Hoss, we can now use the extra time to make our journey to Brisbane a little more leisurely. Matthew has confirmed that they will be in Brisbane at the end of September, and will not be coming back up at Christmas as they originally were planning so we have decided to make a trip back home for Christmas and stay for December and January.

I also had the chance to talk to that Mechanic in Townsville today about the problems with the car caused by them not plugging in the radiator fans when they worked on it. I was quite surprised with his attitude actually. He is prepared to sit and talk to me to discuss what happened and even what we can do to remedy the situation: I am taking that as a possibility of some remuneration, so we will see. We will be back in Townsville in a week or so and will most certainly go and visit them for a discussion.

What was going to be a rather uneventful weekend turned out to be rather busy, even though most was only on the phone. We did have a day trip 60k odd south to a place called The Boulders. It was obviously given this name by the size of the rocks in the creek bed there, it was quite interesting though, and even provided several short bush and forest walks that we do enjoy. We also took the opportunity to check a few campsites in the area and we did find a few that if still available in future we can envisage using them.

Car rego is due next month: another financial burden that may end up being somewhat of a shock when it does arrive as I am expecting quite an increase with insurance the way it is lately.


Thursday 22nd August.

I finalised the repairs to the gas system on the car yesterday and am now more determined to contact that garage in Townsville, as the repairs totalled approximately $470.00 and it would be nice to think that they may be kind enough to reimburse some for their error. But I also think pigs might fly, I do intend at least to tell them exactly what I think though, assuming there will be no remuneration.

I had a call from Jason Crocker yesterday regarding the purchase of our house. From what he said all is looking good for finalisation of the deal. I am not sure that I go much for his other suggestions though, as he indicated that we should give him the money they have paid us already, to satisfy his bank, and then give it back to us. This, to my mind, leaves things open for unscrupulous dealings if for some reason the deal should fall through. Our solicitor is being informed and we have asked for his advice on the matter.

Nothing much else has happened over the past few days, as it has been raining, well it has given us a chance to do what we do best.