Thursday 7th February, (Canberra).

We ended up going direct to Canberra and hope that we don’t very often make a trip like that again, to far, too long, too hot.

I believe Linda is very impressed with Canberra, she was heard to say, “Look at all the things to do here, and most of it is free”. Two days are obviously not going to be enough time here, so we will definitely be back some day, unless we decide to stay here a bit longer.

As was probably expected we are back to cheap fuel prices, isn’t it typical that the pollies would look after their own welfare, not that any of them pay for anything here though.

The weather forecast is still not good, but I hope it will be good enough for a good look around tomorrow.

Friday 8th February, (Canberra).

A rather disappointing day today, spoiled by weather, or should I say weather forecasts. After Linda had done the washing we decided to have a go at looking at some lookouts with the forecast for afternoon showers and thunderstorms. As we drove to a mountain east of Canberra, which boasted great views of the city and surrounds, it started raining. The views from the lookout would have been very good except for the rain and cloud cover, so it was no good taking photos. With us deciding a return trip would be the order, it would be an idea to leave photo taking until then.

We then decided to just have a drive around for a look and after visiting a shopping centre we heard about, Tugeranong Hyper mart, then return home where Linda would feel better off being in the thunderstorm. During our travels we ended up at the Telstra tower, a gigantic tower on the western side of the city also boasting spectacular views. It turned out the only good views to be seen would be from the tower and, even though the weather had cleared somewhat but with some black clouds still hovering, we decided that it would possibly be a waste of time, and money, to go up the tower to take photos if it were not fine, so we will also do it on upon our return.

A further drive around and we found ourselves at the shopping centre, shopping centre; this was not just a shopping centre, it was a township made up of shops, humongous, every conceivable shop one could think of. We were there for an hour or so, and we didn’t have any shopping to do, and hardly saw any of it.

It was now about 3.30pm, almost too late to do any more looking about, and would you believe the weather for the past couple of hours had been fine and sunny and it looked as though it was going to be like it for the rest of the day, and so it was, so it turned out we could have had a good days photo taking but was ruined because we listened to the forecast. One should have remembered that forecasters in New South Wales could never get it right, to my experience during our travels.

We don’t have time at this stage to stay any longer so the only option is to return for a longer stay at some later stage. We will be moving on tomorrow toward Sydney with an overnight camping stay somewhere half way.