Monday 6th October 2014, Beachmere.
We are getting questions from management as to when we will be leaving. I am sure we are not under pressure to leave, considering we have been given permission to stay longer than the allotted 4 months due to my health issues, but the park is quite full and my guess is they would like to know so they can allocate our site for further bookings. After my appointment with the surgeon tomorrow, which should be our last required visit, we should be able to give them a fixed date of the 18th October. We still have another commitment to fulfil before we leave so if we can’t do that before that date we will move to Clontarf, as we originally wanted to do, for the duration of our visit. I will have completed my recovery period by then so packing up the van will be a possibility, which is what is holding us here until the 18th.
I have also decided not to have my toenail job done this week as this will be yet another commitment to staying here because the recovery period will prevent us moving, and we really do not want another hold up. We are committed to being back here in April for follow-up treatment for my present health issue, so I may consider having it done then depending how my toe holds out. After all I have had this problem all my life, another few months is not going to be any more of a hardship.
Wednesday 1st October 2014, Beachmere.
I had my appointment with the liver department at R.B.W.H today to get the results of tests taken when I had my operation a few weeks ago. The results were very good, in fact they couldn’t be better, with the word Cancer being removed from the table completely. The name given to my problem is “HAEMANGIOMA”, an explanation from a web site goes; a tangle of blood vessels in or on the surface of the liver. It seems that this condition does not generally cause any problems, but mine was reasonably large so had to be removed. It seems to me though, that they didn’t know the ultimate diagnosis until it was removed. I now have to undergo an ultra sound every six months, as they insisted at the hospital, so it now seems that we will have to be in Brisbane every six months for this, being April and October, and no doubt in the district in between, ahh life’s hard.
I still have a few weeks recovery from the surgery to undergo, and an appointment with the surgeons next week to get the all clear from them, so after that we should be free to recommence our travels south for Xmas.
I am also contemplating having a toenail section removal next week to overcome a long time problem. As the medical man is on holiday I am not sure that the appointment I have made will be suitable for him, I will find out next week, but if it goes ahead this itself will also keep us from leaving here for our return to Melbourne, but we should still be able to get away by the end of October.
Wednesday 17th September 2014, Beachmere.
Over a full week has now passed since the operation and how things have changed. The past two days have been the big difference in my recovery as I have now gone to being almost totally pain free and not taking any pain killers. What a difference in the way I am currently feeling after somewhat wishing I had never gone through with the procedure, although it really did have to be done. I will have to really keep my mind about myself for a while though, as I am now feeling that well that I am constantly forgetting that I have another four odd weeks without any hard lifting or work during my recovery period. I have even resumed my voluntary work at the museum today and yesterday, and considering I have only a few weeks left before we head south again I do not intend undertaking anything large or heavy anyway.
Tuesday 9th September 2014, Beachmere.
The op has now been completed and after just one day I am back at home. All reportedly went well with surgeons indicating that their thoughts are that the nodule in Benign, as we had suspected all along, but tests results in a few days will reveal these details. I am suffering a little at the moment but I am sure the main healing will be done soon, and long term recuperation being about six weeks. This is about the time we had planned to leave here and head south so all is working out reasonably well. I guess all I have to do now is take it very easy for the next few weeks.
Sunday 7th September 2014, Beachmere.
We have been waiting for this moment for quite a while now, and at the moment the butterflies are starting to flutter somewhat. I am due to check in to the hospital, RBWH, at 6:00AM in the morning for my operation to remove this small nodule from my liver, and the nerves are starting to display a somewhat natural anxiety. We are going into the city to stay at a motel close to the hospital for the evening to overcome the problem of getting there so early in the morning. The operation is to be a key-hole type, ‘Laparoscopic’, and I am expected to be in hospital for 2-3 days and then a short recovery time at home afterwards, so in a week or so all should be back to somewhat of a normal routine, and feeling a lot of relief.