Saturday 14th December 2013, Heathcote Junction.
A very interesting week or two has been had at the Telstra Museum lately with me getting involved with firing up an old electro-magnetic telephone exchange. It is a small country model that has been sitting intact in a western Victorian country town for the past 20 years or so, and obviously wasn’t in use for very long prior to that because of the pristine condition of the same. We did have one of these models in the museum, but it was an old one used as a model, and it was unknown what modifications would have been made to it, hence it was never fired up. The newer one was bought in to replace the older one over the past few weeks and I have gotten involved with firing it up. It is very enlightening to realise how much of the knowledge of the workings of the exchange I had retained, hard to realise until involvement once again, since these exchanges were replaced back in the early to mid-1990’s and one obviously hasn’t worked on one since. After finding several faults, and working out and re-strapping the exchange code analysis equipment we are now happy that it is working quite adequately. The next thing now is to integrate it into the small network of exchanges existing in the museum, this will be achieved over the next couple of weeks after co-workers complete some cabling that needs doing.
It has been very enjoyable to get involved in such work once again.