Evans Head and a storm.

Tuesday 28th September 2010, Evans Head.

I had a chance to do an extremely good deed for the day today, not that I don’t do good deeds on other days. We had a very brief vicious storm with a big short gust of very strong wind, which ripped the railing for mounting the annexe on the side of the van off the wall. I am fortunate that I have the tools to repair the damage, like a drill and Pop-riveter, so repairs have now been done. On a visit to the Amenities it became very evident that many others suffered similar problems, most others simply pulled down their annexes and put them away, but one family had a big problem with the same damage as us, but both ends of the annexe. Their main problem was that the kids were to sleep in the annexe and it was now not very water proof with more rain to come, so I offered to bring my tools down and do the same repairs as I had just done to our van. We had just finished repairs when the rain started again so I left them to re-erect the walls while I went back home to make sure our annexe was all ok. This sort of thing does give one a good feeling at the end of the day, with a sense of having achieved something.

My, or the, TV problems seem to have come ok as well. When I turned the set on this afternoon I noticed that with each channel one watched its name appeared on the info page as it should, so I did another scan and all is now back to normal. I reckon an error occurred in the data with the introduction of the new channels being transmitted by NBN and PRIME.

Evans Head.

Saturday 25th September 2010, Evans Head.

We have now arrived at Evans Head (see map) and are possibly looking at being here for two weeks, because it is currently school holidays and we do not know whether we will be able to get in where we are hopeful of going next. Today has been one that we would prefer to forget, I think, as everything has gone wrong. Linda broke her glasses, and I broke my glasses. We had to stop at Ballina to find an Optician to get another pair, or repairs, and she did get them temporarily repaired that may last until we get to Melbourne. Mine are only those twenty dollar magnifiers from a chemist, so I just simply had to buy another pair. We had the caravan on the back when we stopped at Ballina and it is not easy finding a parking spot, especially in the shopping centre car parks, and I did make the mistake of taking the van into the car park and then battle to find my way back out again. The thing that topped me over the edge is the problems with TV reception. The problems we are having, I think, or am rather sure, are beyond me and my equipment and more along the lines of data problems with the servers. I have tried all tuners, STB’s and aerials and am having the same problem with all configurations. I am tuning in all stations but Prime and NBN aren’t being recognised as same with LCN’s and titles being missing, so it is, at this stage, a little hard identifying some of the channels, but we will just have to tolerate the difficulties.

I must get the bike out while here as there does seem to be plenty of tracks to get some riding in along.

I am a bit buggered now, so more later.

Willowbank Near Ipswich.

Friday 24th September 2010, Willowbank (Ipswich).

Well here we are doing what we decided long ago that we would prefer never to do – a one night stopover. We are now at Willowbank, just south of Ipswich. (see map) I once found that if I drive a fair distance even over two days it seems to take a fair bit out of me, so I thought it would be much better if we had at least one day stopover whenever making a long distance trip. Because the trip from Nanango to Evans Head, NSW, was just too far, and we have nothing else to do here, it’s break one of our golden rules and just stay overnight.

Nanango and rained in.

Sunday 19th September 2010, Nanango.

It has been a nice quiet week at Nanango so far with the weather starting to turn to the worse, it is now starting to look like we may have to stay here for a few days longer because it is now forecast for rain for almost the next week, and it is no fun packing up or moving in the wet so we just don’t do it. We have also fallen into the same old trap of this time of year being school holidays and caravan parks are either fully booked or charge too much. The problem is also not helped when we decide to try out a particular park reasonably close so our next leg won’t be too long and we can’t contact them, and they won’t respond to my messages left on their machine, so our travel plans have been thrown into total chaos already. That is what this lifestyle is all about though, just take things as they happen.

It has been real good catching up with K & A, but they are having their small problems as well. It seems K has to have more treatment for her medical problem and it is a little far for them to make the repeated trips from here to Ipswich to have her treatment, so they are now looking for somewhere closer to move to.


Tuesday 14th September 2010, Nanango.

We have started on our first leg of the journey back down to Melbourne for Xmas. (See map) We also came this way to visit Kay and Adrian, and Les and Jan, because when we go to Darwin and WA next year we may well not see them again for a fair period of time. We ventured on some unknown roads today from Childers through Ban Ban Springs to Goomeri, and sections of the road are very typical of several outback Queensland roads, very rough, although there was a lot of road works along the way so maybe the roads are on the improve. When I say the roads are rough, most people would not notice the roughness because they are travelling in cars, but you do not really notice the roughness until you are pulling a caravan or some other heavy weight, so most people would not appreciate what I mean.

Burnett Heads.

Friday 10th September 2010, Burnett Heads.

Another monstrously long move today, (check out this map) being about 100 meters from one side of the caravan park to the other. Our plans have changed to a small degree of recent, nothing unusual, because we had a minor medical situation that had to be sorted out that caused us to stay here in the Bundaberg area for a while longer. The problem is all sorted now but we can’t move to Nanango until Tuesday because the caravan park is full until then, so it was decided to stay here for another three days. A couple of TV shows also dictated that we stay here while we have good reception, and it was a little iffy where we had planned on going, Mundubbera that was. Hence the short move, with the short notice, someone else had booked our site so we had no option but to move to another.

Burnett Heads.

Thursday 2nd September 2010, Burnett Heads.

Thursday already? Where does the time go? We have been rather busy since being here as I have upgraded my mobile broadband internet unit, and is it faster, my word. Between making the actual purchase, getting it up and running, and organising an external aerial patch cable for it I haven’t had a great deal of time for anything else. I couldn’t believe how much difference the external aerial made to this unit, it took me about 3 days to actually get the patch cable and I was cursing, of sorts, that the new unit wasn’t any faster than the older one was, although it often tried, then the external aerial was connected. Just to explain why the aerial is so important:- We live in a caravan, with an aluminium cover all over that is earthed electrically, and this alone will limit the amount of signalling that will pass to the unit, so an external aerial, I consider, is a must especially when in fringe areas as well, and would you believe my connection speed multiplied by 5 times or more and I actually reached the magic figure of 8MEG as advertised, very surprising.

So now it is back to a normal life of enjoying the relaxation, and thinking about where we are going on our next legs of travel.