Chapter 23D

Nelle and Matt’s visit.

And Lou and Matt.

Friday 12th December 2003, (Albury- Beechworth).

We did eventually pack up and move from Benalla on the 3rd Dec. to Albury. We arrived at Albury 2 days earlier than we had booked, but this was no problem with the caravan park as they are generally not very busy even though it is a reasonably small park. Arriving early gave us a chance to organise with Matt’s parents what we were going to do to go to Melbourne to meet them.

Narrelle and Matt arrived in Melbourne in the early hours of the morning of Tuesday the 9th, and after Mark had knocked off work and had tea we headed off about 8:00pm. We decided that we would also take our car, as there would not be enough room for six of us and their baggage for the return trip. I emptied all our gear from the panel van for the trip, and economy wise it was well worth it. Upon reaching Melbourne Mark decided to refuel, we both fuelled at Albury but I did do about 100k before leaving, and when I found gas at 29.9 cents per litre I just had to boast to Mark about my economics. For 400 kilometres my car took about 57 litres and cost $16.00 for fuel, and when this was pointed out to Mark he was rather astonished to find how much cheaper it is to use gas if purchased at the right price.

We arrived at the airport at about 12:30am, and with their plane due to arrive at 01:15 we decided to go straight to the car park and wait for them in the airport. We were aware that it could take them an hour or so to get through customs before we could meet them, and they actually emerged from the airport at about 1:45, quicker than we thought.

After exchanging our greetings we commenced our return trip to Albury, and arrived back at Mark and Kay’s place at about 6:30am. We had actually left Albury/Wodonga driving into the sunset and on our return arrived at Albury/Wodonga driving into the sunrise, a very long evening behind the wheel, and I was very much looking forward to hitting our bed. We finally did get to bed about 9:00am but it always was going to take me about two days to get over that evening, as it always did back in my overnight working days.

We have now had a chance to spend some time with Nelle and Matt, his parents as well, so for the next week or so Nell and Matt will be visiting friends in Melbourne. We will also be in Melbourne so they can call in on us if they end up with free time.

We left Albury today, on our way to Melbourne, and are stopping at a small town of Beechworth, about 50k south, for a couple of days. We had visited here once before and Linda wanted to revisit as there are some shops she wants to check out again. Besides this Beechworth is a nice old style town and we could easily spend some time just walking around having a look again.