Wednesday 19th November, (Shepparton).
Yeah, I have gotten myself into an attitude of not touring now and just cruising the area, as we are to be in Victoria for a while, hence I am not writing as much as usual. Being on my own and just filling in time, basically, means not much is actually happening anyway.
I did chase up getting that photo blown up and after finding more information about producing large photos from digital files I have now learnt that I can’t actually produce as large photos from my files as I thought. I did try anyway. My new external mobile aerial has been ordered and will be here when I return in a couple of weeks.
I have now moved on to Shepparton on my way to Melbourne with the idea of going to Bendigo on Friday for a couple of days before hand. I have heard that there is a caravan and boat show at Bendigo this weekend so I intend to visit it while there.
Friday 21st November, (Shepparton).
Slight change of plans again as while at Shepparton I have decided that it would be a waste of time and money taking the van to Melbourne to pick up Linda. It would be a lot cheaper to leave the van here and drive down to Melbourne on the day to pick up Linda and return here on that day. This would save me carting the caravan all the way to Melbourne and then back here again on our way back to Albury.
I will still go to Bendigo tomorrow for the caravan show but it will only be a day trip from here.
All this will result in not much extra mileage as if taking the van to Melbourne but I will save now by not having the van on the back. It is also much cheaper to stay in the caravan park at Shepparton.
Sunday 16th November, (Albury).
Day one at Goulburn was a wet one at the end of the day so my idea of leaving a day early is now not on. Day two, or the evening, was so cold. The heater came out of the car again and was so welcome. This made me really wonder why I didn’t leave a day early anyway.
My longest trip for a while has taken me to Albury. My intention was to book my trip on the boat when I arrived here, as I would then know when I was likely to be in Melbourne.
I must get myself into the attitude that any plans made will more than likely get changed, as this seems to have been the norm lately. The latest change is my plans to return home for a short trip; I am now not going, as the earliest I could get on the boat was about the time I would want to return. I will now decide what I will do and where I will go between now and early next week when Linda is due to return, the way the weather is shaping up at the moment I may as well stay here at Albury until later in the week and then go to our usual park, Ashley Gardens, in Melbourne on the weekend sometime and stay there for when Linda does return. We’ll see what happens over the next couple of days.
I may have other reasons for staying here anyway, as Matt’s father has indicated that, after telling him about some photos of mine, he would like a large print of one I was describing to hang on his lounge room wall. I thought that this would be an ideal time to see how large I can blow up one of my photos, hopefully A2 size, and if I can and the price is ok, then it would make a good Xmas present for him.
I can also chase up an external aerial for my phone while here, as there is a good phone parts shop here, and I could pick it up when we return in a couple of weeks.
Wednesday 12th November, (Sydney- Goulburn).
So much for my plans of creating an easy drive through Sydney by staying at north Sydney and then an easy drive through. I picked a big4 park on the very northern suburbs, right next to the highway, so I would be able to leave there and just drive straight through. When I turned up at this caravan park, after missing the turnoff and having to find somewhere to turn around, I found that it had been closed down. As there are very few parks in Sydney area I then had no option to go to Parklea where we normally stay. This turned out not to be a big problem as I knew which way to go, but on my journey out of there it may as well have been peak our traffic as there was so much traffic around.
Anyway all that out of the way I have now moved on to Goulburn and have booked in for my usual two days, I wonder why I did book in for two days as I am now getting close to Melbourne and can’t wait to get there, or at least home. Perhaps if I wake early in the morning I may forgo a day’s rent and move on anyway, I do want to spend a couple of days at Albury so I can visit Nell’s in-laws. We’ll see what happens in the morning.
Saturday 8th November, (Forster/Tuncurry).
How plans can change: I have now decided to move quickly to Melbourne, leaving the van at Geelong, and go home myself for a week or two before we return for Xmas.
I spent a couple of days at Emerald Beach, near Coff’s Harbour, and while there I thought that touring to new places was a waste of time as we would have to return one day anyway. Apart from that it would be nice to go home for a couple of weeks, it is also lonely on my own.
I am now at Forster/Tuncurry for a couple of days, I do intend to rest between trips, and then intend going to north Sydney area for a couple of days, then a couple of more stops should see me in Melbourne in about 8 days or so. This will give us a couple of weeks in Tassie before we return.
Wednesday 5th November, (Emerald Beach).
There in fact was not a great deal at Yamba, but what was there scenery wise was worth repeated walks and bike rides to happily fill in time.
I have now moved another 100k south to Emerald Beach about 20k north of Coff’s Harbour. This is another small place close to a beach that one could relax at for a while.
My plans of only travelling 100k and staying for 3 days seem to be working well as it gives me enough time to have a look around, time enough to relax, and not too much time to create boredom.
Sunday 2nd November, (Yamba).
A nice relaxing time was had at Ballina.
Before I left there this morning, or at least when I went for some bread from the freezer, I noticed the freezer was turned off. So much for how the battery was so fully charged yesterday from so little driving around. It had obviously been off for some time as some of the meat, mainly sausages, had thawed out. I removed what had thawed out and gave them to a neighbour explaining the situation, because I thought that would save throwing them out. A frozen meal pack was kept and used for tea this evening.
As mentioned I moved on today to Yamba, about 100k south. This place is another that I regret we didn’t visit earlier, when we are back this way Linda is going to enjoy a stay here, I am sure.
Yamba is a small place, in fact after a walk and a bike ride today I am sure I have seen about all there is to see, but some time could be spent here as it is such a relaxing area. I am going to do the walks again with the camera, as there are some quite scenic landscapes to shoot in the area. An area of the coast has spectacular rock formations that I dare say I will get quite a few shots of.
Saturday 1st November, (Ballina).
I am now at Ballina, about 200k south of Brisbane, and have been here for three days.
I thought for a while that I may have to stay here for a while as on the day of travel I contracted a bit of a wog. I got headachy and the sinuses were painful so I took a couple of Polaramine tablets and the next day, yesterday, I was feeling a lot better. Maybe it was a bad pollen day in that area and the air-conditioning I was using during the trip.
I have decided that I am not going to rush getting south and will stick to our decision of short trips and 3 day stays.
Ballina is a little larger than I thought, and is becoming what appears to be a big tourist attraction, if not already. There are plenty of beaches and the surfing is obviously a very popular pastime here.
There are plenty of bike tracks around the coastline, one of which I rode on yesterday that took me into town, a good hours ride there and back. It would have been nice to do another today, but the wind is rather strong out there so I might call it quits. I am about to pull the awning down early because of the wind but it may be too windy to achieve it on my own. During my running around taking photos earlier I noticed a good reason for us not wanting a roll out awning fitted to the van: A van in a nearby park has one fitted and the owners were obviously out, they hadn’t tied the awning to the ground and the wind has detached the supports from the van and the whole thing is now a great tangled mess hanging, flapping, down the side of their van.