Wednesday 19th March, (Adelaide).
I have now decided that this caravan park is in fact better than Levi park as it is still reasonably close to most places that one wishes to go, it is close to the beach, which I’m sure Linda will enjoy on her return.
I have for the past couple of days been thinking again that I have been rather slack in not putting fingers to keyboard once again, but the past couple of weeks have been rather ordinary with not much that I would consider of a nature to put in words: That is until last night, and what a busy night and day today.
We seem to experience extremes in weather conditions wherever we go, and here is no different. Last evening we had one of the worst storms they have had in Adelaide for a fair while. It broke at about 2:30am this morning with such force that the awning started coming down, then I am not really surprised though as I had taken a few short cuts in erecting it to create situations like an easier parking spot by placing the ropes, pegs, close to the base of the poles. This resulted in not being enough strength in the poles and ropes to withstand the force of the wind. I was fortunate, I guess, that I was up at the time watching the world cup cricket semi-finals when the storm did break and I managed to dismantle the awning and store it away before any damage was done.
If I had any doubt as to what I would be doing today it was soon overcome, as I was rather busy re-erecting the awning. This wasn’t a very easy task as the wind was still blowing and I was attempting to do the task on my own, I did manage but it wasn’t extremely easy. I spent some time making sure that this time the erection was completed more effectively, placing ropes further away from the poles, providing more ropes on the ends of the awning and tying ropes from pegs to the bottom of the poles to prevent them from sliding away at the bottom.
One thing I have learned from this is to erect the awning on every occasion to expect the worse situation and then it should withstand a fair wind strength if it does occur, believe me it is no fun dismantling the awning in the middle of the night and trying to store everything somewhere out of the weather without folding anything, especially when one has to do it on his own.
It is only three days until Linda returns from the UK and I can’t wait so I can have a break from such things as cooking. I have booked in here for another week so it will give Linda time to get over her jet lag before we move on.
I have over the past couple of days been pursuing information on software and cable for data download from a new blood testing machine I recently purchased so I can download to my PC. After getting the info that I did today I have decided to forego the idea. The machine has infrared capabilities, as does my laptop, but according to them the infrared system used is not a standard format so the purchase of a cable to convert the infrared to a serial port is essential and at a cost of $250 or so for the cable. The software is apparently only available from the internet and they expect an up front fee of $25 and an annual fee of the same for continued use of it. This seemed to me to be too costly for a system that they are dictating the expense and how one should use it and also too costly for the intended use I would give it, so the idea of a purchase is now a no-go. I guess I will just have to keep records in the old fashion of pen in a log method.
I have just seen on the weather report that we are not the only ones with bad conditions: apparently Melbourne has extremely poor visibility due to dust storms, being topsoil from drought-affected areas.