Chapter 17

Our 2002 trip home.

Sunday 1st December 2002, (Launceston).

We are now back in Tassie and camped at Matthew’s.

We arrived a little early in Melbourne and did all that we intended to do so we bought our boat trip forward so we could spend a little more time at home.

We managed to visit Annette while in Melbourne, at her relatively new abode, new to us, as we had not been there yet. She lives at Keilor east, just a few kilometres north of the caravan park, so it was easy to find and close by.

I have decided that, in our efforts to offload more weight, we really shouldn’t need two spare wheels for the caravan so I dropped one off at Marnie and David’s at Geelong. I figured that if we do need it in the future it would be easier and cheaper to get it sent to us from there rather than Tassie.

We managed to catch up with Dennis and Sue while in Melbourne, as it turned out they arrived a little early as well and were booked into the same caravan park. We managed to catch up on some of each others stories, and we learned a little of what to expect down the west coast if we get there next year.

Elly was a little anxious about us coming early and was a little upset when we had planned to stay at Devonport overnight when we arrived, instead of travelling to Launceston late in the evening. All was forgiven though when we did arrive at their church this morning.

We had all along planned to stay at Matthew’s place, assuming we could get in to the back yard, and when we arrived I decided that it would be almost impossible to get the caravan up the very steep section at the bottom of the drive, let alone around a tricky little bend beyond it. Matt and Lou were not very happy when I informed them of this until Matthew suggested we look at dismantling a section of the fence to next door and come through there. This option I considered was viable so when it was achieved everybody was happier that we are now staying here. The trek into the back yard was a little tricky, and the slope in the back yard is not ideal, but we are in and we will not find it difficult to put up with the conditions. The power cord needed to be a little longer than usual but we found enough cords, and the fact that I will have access to Matt’s ADSL, unlimited super fast internet access, these conditions will be all the more tolerable. At least if we want to come and go, as we might, the access we now have to the yard will not be of much difficulty.

I intend tonight, when they all come home from church, putting an idea to Matt and Lou about purchasing a house. Linda and I consider that if they agree, and if it were at all possible, to purchase a house with a granny flat attached and we would be prepared to pay portion of the purchase, being the deposit, and the granny flat would be considered ours. We will now wait and see what their ideas are, and hopefully we may be able to organise something while we are here.